Bullying and cyberbullying is rapidly spreading and harming our kids today.
Some being driven to suicide – why? Because words do kill!
The stats are disturbing:
· 42% of kids have been bullied while online.
· 35% of kids have been threatened online.
· 21% of kids have received mean or threatening e-mail or other messages.
· 58% of kids admit someone has said mean or hurtful things to them online.
· 53% of kids admit having said something mean or hurtful to another person online.
· 58% have not told their parents or an adult about something mean or hurtful that happened to them online.
- 51% of teen girls say pressure from a guy is a reason girls send sexy messages or images
- 44% of both teen girls and teen boys say it is common for sexually suggestive text messages to get shared with people other than the intended recipient.
- Middle school cyberbullying victims are more apt to commit suicide
- Suicide rates among 10-14 yr. olds have risen over 50% the last 3 decades
Many don’t realize that bullying isn’t just limited to kids and teens. Adult bullying is more prevalent that many know.
Abuse Bites Workshops Aim to Educate & Train employers and workers alike how to defeat bullying and make the workforce a more enjoyable, safer, and productive place.
October is National Bullying Prevention Awareness Month. Find out how you can help your community combat bullying and learn more about bullying prevention.